Friday, July 24, 2020

Quarantine Baking


The Covid-induced lockdown pushed a lot of us to finally try our hands at things we had always wanted to make but weren't getting around to. For me that one item which I really wanted to try was bread making.

In the early days of lockdown, there was no yeast available so I started by substituting with curd. The hot weather aided fermentation, of course. Yummy garlic bread was the outcome.


Once the first attempt was successful, there was no looking back. Hubby ordered yeast online and baked a neat loaf himself.


Now focaccia, using veggie toppings from the kitchen garden, are my favourite.


Along with bread making, another recipe that everyone loved and chipped in with, was bread pudding. Made out of stale slices, the final result is quite an appetizing dessert.


Though I had been baking vegetable gratin for years, a simple recipe using eggs that was shared by a friend made me take my skills up another notch. While I use white sauce for the inner layers, the egg-cream-cheese mix on the top takes this gratin to the next level.


All in all, the quarantine has been a great foodie party for us as a family, and no one is complaining!





No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin