Thursday, August 6, 2009

Threads That Bind

Yesterday we celebrated the festival of Raksha Bandhan or Rakhi in our new home.

Since this was the very first festival we celebrated in this house, and it is one the favourite festivals of the kids, so that made it all extra-special! :)

We decorated the Rakhi thali with flowers from our garden.

And the kids got to wear their choice of cartoon characters as Rakhi.

I have no siblings, and more specifically, no brother. No, not even cousins... imagine. Some tough luck that! So Rakhi is a festival that never really got celebrated in my parents' house.

But now each year when this festival comes round, I send up a small prayer of gratefulness and thanks to someone up there. For giving me a son and a daughter, instead of 2 sons or 2 daughters. For finally letting this festival touch my life through the joy of my kids. For letting me enjoy the unique relationship that only a brother and sister share and understand.

Hope you all enjoyed this special festival too!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin